Your local Business Improvement Association (BIA) is a united voice for your area. It strives to improve local business by attracting, promoting and defending its area’s commercial endeavours.
There are many benefits to having a participating in your BIA. Among them, BIAs:
- Are formed in local neighbourhoods to give an inclusive voice to its local businesses in City Hall and or other local governments.
- Help ensure greater success in the area including attracting new businesses and business activity to its area.
- Create a healthy completive business environment with an emphasis on shared success.
- Consist of volunteer Board Members who represent a united voice promoting the area, making sure its interests are met.
- Nominate their Board members at an Annual General Meeting, and once approved by City Council, serve a four-year term concurrent with the term of Council.
Are funded by the local businesses through a tax levied by the City. Funding and funding allocation is submitted from the BIA to the City for ultimate approval.
Sakto is a member of the Preston Street BIA in Ottawa. Our tenants are great supporters of the BIA, helping to completely transform the area over the last five to 10 years, including adding new lighting, patio space, a new street art installation, new benches and much more.
The Preston Street BIA also designed, developed and installed the Preston Archway, the popular 417 neon Little Italy sign, and the new Bambini gateway art project. All that and we participate in community events.
Image credit: The Bambini – The Creative Vision, Preston Street BIA website.